Friday, June 19, 2009

Spring

Another round of attempts to be less far behind on blog posts. We went on several nice outings this spring to the farm, the zoo, and strawberry picking. Here's the belated recap:

Around Easter time, Spence's Farm had a community farm day. Ainsleigh got to ride a horse, and there were 2 day-old chicks and 2 week-old bunnies.
There was also a hay maze, as well as egg painting. And, how cool is this, the kids even got to use a potter's wheel! Ainsleigh made a little pot. I love the tongue-in-the-cheek concentration (top right).

Sometime also pre-Spain we took a trip to the zoo in Asheboro. Ripken has technically been to the zoo about 10 times, once in NC when he was a few weeks old and the rest on our weekly zoo trips in Baltimore last summer, oh and once in DC during that same time span. But given that he was less than 3 months old on all those occasions, this was for all intents and purposes his first "real" zoo trip. He couldn't take his eyes off all the animals. Top left he had just caught sight of a gorilla for the first time and had him locked in tractor-beam. Bottom left he was checking out the elephants. Ainsleigh being a flamingo, bottom right.
Three days after returning home, Austin had to go to Chicago for a Kindred interview. The strawberries weren't quite in season before we left for Spain, so I decided to take the kids strawberry picking by myself. I'm not really sure how I thought this was going to work. I guess I figured Rippy would walk up and down the rows while Ainsleigh and I picked strawberries. Here we are getting started. So far so good.See there, bottom left, that's what I was going for. Then instantly bottom right: Hey wait, Rippy, no, no, there's nothing in those bushes, Rippy!!! I swear he figured it out in about that much time. What happened next:
Next I tried shewing them away from the berries. Ainsleigh did a good job as the berry searcher (since it was now past peak, we had to look a little harder than last year, although we still fabulous results). Shewing Ripken away from food is a complete waste of time, so I ended up ignoring him and trying to pick berries as fast as possible before he ate every berry in the entire patch. Here he is...oh my! The final damage is bottom right--sitting in his car seat before the ride home. The lady was very nice about it. She said, "Oh look! They each fell right onto a strawberry and it made a mess on their face!"Here's how Ainsleigh fared:Ainsleigh and I made our first strawberry pie later that day. As I write this several weeks later amidst 100 degree temps I sure miss spring, which is by far my favorite season in NC (with summer being my least favorite)!

No comments: