Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Growth

Measuring growth is a tricky thing. Not so much in terms of physical growth. Here are a few recent images that remind me that Rippy and Ainsleigh are growing up, despite long days that can hide this fact:




Such obvious signs of growth seem less apparent with myself than with the kids. When I think about growth it is generally in terms of John Dewey's writings about growth, as in progress. I was just re-reading some things I previously wrote on this topic, and it was a good reminder. And since I think everyone should read more Dewey, here is some for you that is an overly brief and simplified (read: poor) summary of a few of Dewey's major tenants:

Broadly defined across several areas, growth is Dewey’s primary criterion for educative experiences (which might be addressed in a subsequent post). He wrote, “the educative process is a continuous process of growth, having as its aim at every stage an added capacity of growth” (1916/1985, p.59). Today Dewey also reminded me that “growing is not something which is completed in odd moments; it is a continuous leading into the future” (1916/1985, p.61). He believed that continuity, growth, and reconstruction of experience meant that every experience should prepare a person for deeper and more expansive experiences in the future. One of the primary ways growth occurs through experiences is through interactions with others. Dewey (1934/1964) believed social interaction was crucial, because “the material of genuine development is that of human contacts and associations” (p.11).

Amen, John.

No comments: