Ripken turned two on April 21. Grandma Weston was in town to celebrate on his actual birthday. He was in a particularly good mood this evening. When this boy is happy, there is not a more funny two year old around. He was telling all kinds of jokes and hamming it up for the camera. Here are a few (too many) pictures of Rippy enjoying his cupcake.
(click to enlarge the collages throughout this post)
Which shortly led to this:
Rippy with his new favorite toy:

Driving some tractor trailers and a gator:
UNC Helicopter (the Duke one lifted off while we were there, which was also quite the crowd pleaser), state trooper, and fire truck:

Next to the wheel of a SWAT team tank thing. When the world is ending, you want to be in one of these things, that's for sure.
Rippy was very excited this whole time. Even just driving past the parking lot on our way to park our car he started exclaiming "trucks!!!", "cars!!!" But when he spied the digger, he seriously started jumping up and down and spinning in circles as he shouted "digger!!! digger!!! it's a digger!!" He was so happy. Fortunately this also helped me feel less guilty about not throwing him a party.
His finest moment: Rippy drives a digger!
Afterwards we went back and Reed & Kay's house for cake. Since his other love is birds, I made him a bird cake. And of course, it had to be a Baltimore oriole, given his namesake. On a side note, this was the first time I attempted to make and use fondant, and there is an easy recipe here that worked well. Thanks also to IKEA for the bird tray, which I picked up on the way to a conference in Atlanta earlier in the spring.
Blowing out his two little candles, opening presents, and some new favorites: a Baltimore oriole that makes the actual bird call (thanks Marianne for the idea!), and a dump truck, which now travels with Ripken not only around the house but also joins him in the stroller, in the car, and in the store. But how can you say no to a cute little boy who loves his trucks?








3 comments:
Tracy, who ARE you?
How did the world combine in you? I admire your philosophical treatise in one entry, and then am totally surprised and impressed by your cake-making skills in the next (fondant? seriously? that's no small feat...). When I was younger I used to box myself into narrow understandings of what it meant to be who I was, and I am refreshed to find again in you a woman of vastly varied talents. I need reminders sometimes that women do not need to fit into categories of polarized sets of related skills and hobbies. Keep it coming...
Metta, I'm sure your question is rhetorical, but if I had to try to answer who I am in one word, I would go with "complicated."
hmmmm. I would have gone with "perfect".
Post a Comment