Thursday, April 14, 2011

Quoteable Kids

Rippy, being an almost three year old boy, is finally taking off in the language department. Here are a few of his regular phrases along with some recent funnies.

"Don't talk to me!" We will get that one out of the way first. We hear it a lot. For example, "Rippy, don't hit your sister." "Don't talk to me!" Or, "Rippy, what do you want for dinner?" "Don't talk to me!" Occasionally it is amusing. Usually it is not.

Another phrase that Rippy now says multiple times a day is, "Wanna see somethin' cool?" I have no idea where he picked it up, but it is pretty cute.

Sundays are long days for Rippy. Our church goes from 11-2 so by the time he gets down for a nap it is well over due, and then we have to wake him up to head to Kay and Reed's for Sunday dinner. At a recent Sunday dinner he was having a hard time dealing with feeding himself when he sobbed, "I'm too tired for this!" Truer words have never been spoken.

Another Sunday anecdote happened when Sarah brought Rippy to nursery. However, he was more interested in staying with her than going to play.
Nursery helper: "Do you want to come in and play with the toys?"
Rippy: "I usually don't like toys."

We hear a lot about "highlighters" these days. Rippy has recently learned about Star Wars and has now seen more footage of those movies than I have. Of course, he loves the fight scenes with light sabers...which he calls highlighters. He asks me several times a day if I want to fight with the highlighters (two plastic baseball bats). Once when Austin was sick and laying on the couch Rippy tucked one "highlighter" under Austin's arm and then started whacking it with the other one.

Speaking of whacking and hitting, there was another exchange that took place over Sarah's backpack, which was sitting in our foyer at the time. I was upstairs and heard Rippy say, "It's a bad backpack. I've gotta whack it! I've gotta kill it!" We hear about "bad" things quite a bit (unfortunately this includes bad mommy, bad daddy, bad sister, and bad anything). Obviously, he has entered the violent boy world of "needing" to whack and hit and kill. All I know is Ainsleigh certainly did not go through such a stage.

On a more positive note, one night when my mom was in town a few weeks ago Rippy was playing with her cell phone.
Austin: "Stop playing with Grandma's phone."
Rippy: "I'm callin' Jesus Christ."

This morning Rippy asked to watch a particular Curious George episode. Here's how that went:
Rippy: "I wanna watch the pirate one."
Me: "You can't. The pirate one got deleted."
Rippy: "What's deleted?"
Me: "Deleted means it went away."
Rippy, now looking at me with big eyes: "Did it go to heaven?"

This evening Austin and Ainsleigh went to a function at her elementary school.
Me: "What do you want to do at home with Mommy?"
Rippy: "Eat cookies and not go to bed!"
Ask a stupid question...

And finally, the latest one from Rippy, which began when he got up on our bed and started throwing off covers, pillows, and anything else within reach.
Austin: "Rippy, good grief!"
Rippy: "I'm not a good grief I'm a bad grief!"

Ainsleigh has had a vocabulary better than some of my undergrads since she was about two. So in general she has passed the phase of saying funny things because she uses words incorrectly. However, there are of course still words out there that she has not mastered. One of my favorite quotes ever, which made me drop to the floor laughing when she said it, is based on her confusion of a few letters. I trimmed Ainsleigh's hair, and shortly thereafter Sarah was over and gave her a compliment about it.
Sarah: "Ainsleigh, I love your haircut! It looks so much healthier now!"
Ainsleigh: "Yeah! My hair used to be way down to here but now it's down to my nibbles."
Priceless.

And finally, a few weeks ago Ainsleigh had on one of her favorite play dresses when I saw that the sleeve looked like this:
Now, any mother knows that this is not a manufacturing defect or a tear. But getting your kid to fess up? Yeah, right. Not when that kid is Ainsleigh. I thought it would be a conversation full of changed subjects and outright lies. Instead, it went like this.
Me: "Ainsleigh, what happened to your sleeve?"
Ainsleigh: "I don't know but I definitely didn't cut it with the scissors trying to open that package."

All I can say is, it's a good thing they are occasionally hysterical.

No comments: