Saturday, September 6, 2008

Dance Class

Wednesday was Ainsleigh's first dance class. Since the spring she has delighted in putting on what she calls her "dancing shoes" (her church shoes) and dancing around the house. This reached new levels this summer when we discovered So You Think You Can Dance and we'd show her some of the routines. She says you can't dance to the slow songs, only the fast ones. So we thought we'd see if she liked "real" dancing.
Getting started. Learning how to warm up their arms and hands. I must also add the disclaimer that she "had" to wear all pink.













More stretching.


















Admiring her little skirt.
















Trying to find her waist.

















Her teacher shows her how to point her toes up. Ainsleigh's was the first name she learned (all you teachers know this is generally NOT a good thing). But why? She looks like she's doing so well...

Well, this is what she looked like most of the time. I know it's blurry, but she's the one running, waving her arms around, and her mouth is open so she was probably yelling something across the room to me (perhaps this was the time when she announced, "Mommy, I look very fancy!"). After practicing something they would put the music on to perform that step, but when Ainsleigh heard the music she would break into her own improvisational dance. She was seldom standing on her square, like she was supposed to. I think the most oft-spoken sentence was the teacher saying "Ainsleigh, get back on your square."
Clapping for herself at the end of class.















Ainsleigh is ready for ballet, but the question is, is ballet ready for Ainsleigh!?!?


3 comments:

The Edwards Clan said...

Great post! My Kimmy came up to me as I was reading this post and asked (again) when she will get to start dance class. We're not sure she's ready (though she's 4). But, maybe we really need to give it a try. It's so expensive, though! Yikes! (by the way, she also enjoyed the bits of "SYTYCD" that we showed her!)

Anonymous said...

Ainsleigh has the perfect skin tone to pull off an outfit like that. I have always envied those that could wear pastels and look so good.

Cindy Reed said...

How stinkin' cute! Looks like Ainsleigh is going to like that dance class of hers! I love it when they are so tiny and look so cute in their little ballerina slippers and outfit! Looks like she's pretty animated! How fun!