Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Name That Siren

You have probably guessed that, given our proximity to everything, that also means we are near the noise of, well, everything. Ainsleigh likes guessing if a siren is a fire truck, ambulance, or police car. There are also a few unique sounds. Like the 11:00 PM ice cream truck (see below). Here is the list:

Ice Cream Truck: When a neighbor told us he has to run off the ice cream truck because it comes too late, I'm not sure we believed him. Until we heard its little jingle one night at 11:00 PM. Our bet is, at 11 PM, he's selling something other than ice cream!
Horses: The other night I was in bed and heard "clip clop" on the pavement outside our window. I thought, surely, that is not a horse walking down our very busy street. But it was. There was a person riding a horse, and second one a minute later, and then 2 horse-drawn carriages. All of this was very odd, because a) it was 10:45 PM, b) I've never seen any horse drawn carriages anywhere in town, and c) even if there was a scenic tour, it wouldn't go through this neighborhood.
Lithuanian Bar: There is a Lithuanian bar around the corner that plays some loud (and bad) music every night. Sometimes it gets a bit rowdy on Friday and Saturday night.
Life Flights: There is a hospital 2 blocks away from us, which has a life flight. The helicopters go in and out over our place all night long.
Fire Trucks: Rescue Company Number 1 is three blocks away. Since we're on a one-way street, the trucks have to come 2 blocks closer to us before they can turn. Even better is when they don't turn and drive right in front of our apartment (on the side with the bedrooms) with sirens at full-blast. Seems that 2:30-3:30 AM is a popular time, so don't burn your house down then. I'm not sure why they need to run the sirens at full-bore at that hour. There's no one on the street (except the ice cream truck and horses).
Snoopy & Sparky: 2 small but yippee dogs who live downstairs. The stoop-dwellers are always yelling at Sparky because he is constantly wandering away (Maybe I should get them a leash).
Downstairs Neighbors: They sometimes yell...loudly...at each other.
Door Bell: When someone wants to get inside the building, they ring all the doorbells at once in hopes that someone will come down and let them in.
Street Cleaner: Comes by twice a week.
Garbage Truck: For the life of me I can't figure out when they come...it's 2 or 3 times a week and not on the same days.
Police Cars: Yeah, there's those, too.
Ripken: And if all of this wasn't enough and we actually were sleeping, we have our own little siren just a few feet from our bed. And since he still goes off every 2-3 hours, maybe all the rest of the noise doesn't even matter.

2 comments:

Cindy Reed said...

OK...so I'm laughing out loud at this post. I know it's not so funny to you, but these odd sounds that you are hearing at all hours of the night are hilarious! When we lived in PA, the guy downstairs from us was a professional drummer. Lovely. And we lived about 1/8 mile from the train tracks. Even lovelier. We hated it back then, but now...for some weird reason...we look back on those days with fondness. So, maybe one day these crazy sirens and sounds that are keeping you up will actually be amusing to you! hee hee

The Edwards Clan said...

Hi, Tracy! So, I found out about your blog through Cindy. I am SO excited to see you and Austin and your TWO adorable kids!!! I had wondered what happened with you guys -- where you were, if you had kids, etc. I've really enjoyed reading your blog. You are an AMAZING mother, Tracy! I am SO impressed with all of the great things you are doing with your kids. You ROCK!

As for all of the sounds....I guess that's city life for you! I think I'd have a hard time getting used to that since I'm a country girl at heart. I like crickets and frogs. We do live about 1/2 mile from an active freight train line, though, so we can hear its warning whistles during the night -- well, we don't even notice them anymore (but I think our guests do!).